Located on a small expansion shelf about midway between the Third and Fourth Circles, Musical Hell is presided over by Diva, a minor demon charged with passing judgement on the worst musicals ever committed to film. (She still hasn't figured out if this is their punishment or hers.) Take a seat on the bench and have your earplugs ready, because court is now in session.

New videos posted on the first Monday of the month. Other viewpoints, news, and general ramblings posted when they crop up.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Even More Randomer Crap Than Usual

Two entries in the continuing parade of “musicals based on mid-grade movies” premiered on Broadway this week, Ghost and Leap of Faith. Ghost got some pretty bad reviews, but if I'm honest it looks...interesting. Not great, but something I might see once and file away with all the other vaguely-remembered shows sloshing around my brain. I'll admit to getting all weepy over the movie when it came out, but then again it came out when I was a teenage girl and getting weepy was pretty much what I did back then.



Leap of Faith, on the other hand, got even worse reviews and from the looks of things it deserved them. I can't say any of this preview reel excites me at all. Alan Menken, is this the best you can do? How the mighty have fallen...



And speaking of terrible shows, Love Never Dies still refuses to go gently into the good night of music theater obscurity, lurching along like a zombie searching for a brain (and for basically the same reason). The Det Ny Theatre in Copenhagen announced it would be producing the world's most infamous fan fiction for their 2012 season. On the plus side, translating lyrics like these into another language can only be an improvement:



Finally, my determination to avoid further spoiler footage of Les Miserables has been sorely tempted this week with the news that Universal released a teaser at CinemaCon featuring Anne Hathaway singing “I Dreamed a Dream.” And it's apparently extremely awesome. It hasn't made its way onto the Internet yet, but we all know it's a matter of time. But I'm not going to watch it. I mean it...really...no matter how much I want to...oh dear Lord, it is going to be a long wait until the official trailer, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment